Thursday, June 12, 2008

Don't Be A Mess!


Earlier this year, when the Steve Pettit Team visited our church, I purchased a family devotional book (among many other items) entitled, "Our Family Time With God." It is compiled by Harold D. Vaughan and contains entries from 12 different people.

This week we've been learning about Biblical separation, and the entries were written by Tom Palmer, founder of Palmer Revival Ministries. He discussed many different aspects this week and wrapped the series up in this morning's devotion time with a great visual lesson for the kids. The scripture reading came from Titus 2:11-15, and this is what he had to say:

While speaking at a junior camp retreat, I stepped onto the platform wearing a cowboy hat, a western shirt, jeans, a fancy belt buckle, and boots. Carrying a lasso, I walked around as if I were bowlegged and called out, "Howdy y'all! What am I?"
"A cowboy!" the kids responded.
When I asked them how they knew who I was, they described my actions, outfit, words, and, of course, the fact that I walked like I'd been sitting in the saddle too long.
I stepped out of sight momentarily and returned wearing a baseball hat, a Phillies shirt, and baseball shoes. Carrying a baseball and glove, I crouched like a batter. "Play Ball!" I yelled. "What am I?"
They said I was a baseball player and described each item that identified me as a baseball player. Again, I left the platform.
When I returned the third time, I wore both hats. I also wore a cowboy boot on one foot and a baseball shoe on the other. I carried a lasso in one hand and a baseball bat in the other. I strolled and crouched as before and called out, "Howdy y'all, let's play ball!" Again I asked, "What am I?"
Without hesitation, one junior camper called out, "A mess!"
The room erupted with laughter, but my point had been made.
Something doesn't make sense when a Christian tries to be worldly and godly. No one can be like the world and like God at the same time. There must be an obvious distinction.
The time has come for godly families to be different from the world around them. Our actions, appearances, attitudes, and even our walk and talk must show the world we are different. Otherwise, we'll just be a mess!

James 4:4 says, "Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God."

No comments: