Friday, June 20, 2008

Highlights for Children

We subscribe to Highlights for Children Magazine, and I get emails all the time with craft ideas, teaching ideas, online reading for kids and even extra printable Hidden Pictures, which my kids LOVE! The email I got today had a link for a Hidden Picture for May and June, and since that was only going to be 2 pictures and I have 3 kids, I decided to see if they had any in archives, so that I could print an extra one.

On the Highlights Kids website, there is a link that will take you to the Hidden Pictures where you can either play online, print a picture or see the answers to the Hidden Pictures in the current month's issue. Follow this link to look through 2 pages and (if I counted correctly) 200 pictures of printable Hidden Pictures. My kids thought we hit the "Jackpot" when I discovered this today. =)

Recently, I received an email with a link to a short story based on John Chapman - "Johnny Appleseed." Here's a link to the archive pages of their short stories. When you follow that link, you will be directed to a page of stories categorized as "Adventure." There are 9 total categories listed under the "Highlights Stories" picture.

There are also science experiments available. Here's a recent one that teaches about air pressure. Here's the archive page (note that there are two pages) with more experiments listed. This is a great supplement for home schooling.


When it comes to crafts, I like to find things that are relatively simple and not very messy. (I know...I'm so much fun!) We always have lots of paper towel and toilet paper tubes, so I like to find crafts using those. Here is one called a Spiral Roadway that uses a PT tube. This one shows how to make a rocking horse out of a TP tube. Here is the craft archive page that has 6 categories available to look through.

Check it out! Your kids will love it! Mine do. =)

1 comment:

James, Erica, Eliana and Landon said...

I'm right there with you on the simple and not so messy crafts, so keep the ideas coming! :o)